For most people the family home is the largest investment that they own. Keeping it in good condition is important but it is very easy to overlook or to get overwhelmed. Here is a schedule to keep you on top of it all and ensure you are protecting your largest investment.
1. Every week
These are the routine tasks to keep your house clean and tidy.
- Wipe down all benches, tables and surfaces
- Vacuum and mop all the floors
- Clean microwave
- Scrub the floor and tiles in the bathroom
- Clean the toilet
- Clear debris from the lawn
- Disinfect all light switches and door handles
2. Every month
Every month you should focus your efforts into the maintaining of your house.
- Properly clean the inside of the oven; removing all oil and grime
- Test your smoke alarms
- Check filters (range hood, washing machine, dryer, vacuum cleaner etc)
- Clean blinds/curtains (vacuum and/or wipe down)
- Rinse out and clean wheelie bins
- Wash and dry all bathroom and kitchen floor matts
- Remove all weeds and large debris from the garden
3. Every quarter
Every quarter you need to address the larger issues around your house. These tasks take a lot longer to do but will keep your house in better condition for longer.
- Pressure clean the driveway and patio areas
- Clean out the gutters of all leaves and debris
- Spray clean all windows and screens
- Test all electrical trip switches
- Check the water meter is operating correctly and free of debris
- Clean under and behind larger appliances (fridge, dryer, washing machine etc)
- Clean air-conditioner and check filters
- Oil the garage mechanisms and wipe down the doors
- Throw out all out-dated and expired foods from the cupboard and fridge and clean the empty shelves
4. Pop up tasks
Even with the above maintenance schedule you will find there are pop up tasks and odd-jobs that come about all through the year. When you find these issues you need to address them straight away with a DIY project or by hiring a local trusted provider. Some of these tasks might include:
- Replacing blown lightbulbs
- Fixing leaking taps or running toilets
- Replacing ripped or torn fly screens
- Cleaning and repairing the roof and drains
- Chopping up and removing fallen palm fronds or trees
Don’t suffer, get help!
Looking at the maintenance schedule for the house is pretty daunting. It is possible to keep chipping away and to complete it all by yourself but there is a better way!
CanYa has local, trusted and verified providers that can help with the home maintenance schedule and burdens that comes with it. Many of the providers are “jack of all trades” and in one call-out you can get somebody to help with the any one or all of your odd jobs and household tasks!
Nicko Boubaris (on of our Darwin based providers) is a good example of how flexible a CanYa service provider can be. Nicko provides services ranging from handyman, roofer, tiler, builder, plasterer to painting, appliance installation and bathroom/kitchen renovation. To get help from Nicko or to view his CanYa profile for free, simply click here and download Australia’s best app for hiring local providers.